Answers to common questions about NTP Academic Mentors.
New mentors looking to apply
Working as an Academic Mentor, you will provide additional support to schools to help pupils’ whose education has been most affected by school closures. You will provide small group (1:3) support to pupils within your allocated school.
If successful, we will find you an appropriate school placement. We will enroll you on a bespoke online training programme created and delivered by Liverpool Hope University, as well as ongoing CPD. You can find a copy of the job description here, which will include more details on the core requirements. In the meantime here are some Frequently Asked Questions.
View the step by step application process for AY 2021/22 to which includes the timescale for the application process.
Academic Mentors must meet the following conditions:
Have a university degree (2.2) or above, or have Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) or equivalent.
Must have Level 4 (Grade C) or above in GCSE Maths and English or equivalent qualifications, where agreed by the Department for Education.
Academic Mentors must have the right to work in the UK for the duration of the programme.
Please note you will be asked to provide copies of these qualifications during the application process.
Following acceptance into the programme, you will be matched to a suitable school based on your skills and experience, as well as the school’s requirements. The NTP will seek to match you with a school within a one hour travelling distance or within a 25 mile radius of your address.
We welcome nominations from schools who wish to employ a specific candidate as an Academic Mentor. If you have an existing relationship with a school, then the school can contact us directly for us to talk them through the process, by emailing us at email@example.com.
If you hold Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) you will need to complete a one week training course. For graduates/Non QTS it will be two weeks. Training will be accredited and done remotely. This is a mandatory requirement.
All curriculum content has been created specifically for this programme by Liverpool Hope University and will be delivered online. You will be able to attend at a time convenient to you and the school, as intakes will commence weekly. Here is an overview of the training from Liverpool Hope University.
Should you require any additional information please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org
Once you have accepted a role and passed safeguarding checks, a suitable start date will be agreed between you and your placement school. Your start date will be the date you commence training, delivered by Liverpool Hope University.
As part of the recruitment process we will seek to understand what availability you can offer when applying to be an Academic Mentor. We expect that most mentors will work full-time.
Academic Mentors are employed by schools. Any contract that you sign will be with the school directly and based on their terms, policies and processes. Mentors are paid £19,000 a year, pro-rata. 95% of the salary cost to schools is covered by the Department for Education in Academic Year 2021/22. Schools will be expected to contribute the remaining 5%, as well as on-costs, for example, pension contributions and National Insurance.
Any pensions or benefits will be dependent on your contract with the school/academy you are placed in.
Contracts are rolling, enabling you to start as soon as you and the school are ready from the start of the academic year 2021/22. Most contracts will run until the end of summer 2022.
All mentors will receive a base salary of £19,000 pro rata funded by DfE (95%) and schools (5%). Schools are able to set their own salary and benefits.
95% of the mentor’s salary will be subsidised by the Government. Schools will be expected to contribute to the remaining 5% plus on-costs for mentors, such as pension contributions.
Current mentors wishing to remain in their school for 2021/2022
For those that are remaining at the same school and with a DBS in the school name, we anticipate that you wont need to complete a new DBS, unless you have had a break in employment with the school for over three months. If you do require a new DBS please contact us and we can organise a new one.
Once you have created your account in the Tuition Hub, you will be able to update your details and preferences directly. You will also be able to liaise with the Academic Mentor team through the Tuition Hub.
Current mentors looking for a new placement in 2021/2022
You will need to create an account in the Tuition Hub, and input your preferences and requirements. You will have the opportunity to discuss your situation via an online interview where we can seek a new placement for you for the next academic year. There isn’t an interview to decide if you are eligible for the programme, it’s a conversation to understand your requirements for your new role.
We understand that you will have invested time, energy and effort into the training provided in 2020/2021, and given that you may have completed this training recently we will not be making it mandatory, unless the school requests that you undertake this training. We would however, like to make the Liverpool Hope University course available should you wish to attend. This content is delivered online and we will be welcoming cohorts every week.
Should you require further information, please contact us and we will discuss in more detail.
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. These cookies ensure basic functionalities and security features of the website, anonymously.
This cookie is used by the WPForms WordPress plugin. The cookie is used to allows the paid version of the plugin to connect entries by the same user and is used for some additional features like the Form Abandonment addon.
The cookie is set by GDPR cookie consent to record the user consent for the cookies in the category "Advertisement".
This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Analytics".
The cookie is set by GDPR cookie consent to record the user consent for the cookies in the category "Functional".
This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookies is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Necessary".
This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Other.
This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Performance".
Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.
This cookie is installed by Google Analytics. The cookie is used to calculate visitor, session, campaign data and keep track of site usage for the site's analytics report. The cookies store information anonymously and assign a randomly generated number to identify unique visitors.
This cookie is installed by Google Analytics.
This cookie is installed by Google Analytics.
This is a pattern type cookie set by Google Analytics, where the pattern element on the name contains the unique identity number of the account or website it relates to. It appears to be a variation of the _gat cookie which is used to limit the amount of data recorded by Google on high traffic volume websites.
This cookie is installed by Google Analytics. The cookie is used to store information of how visitors use a website and helps in creating an analytics report of how the website is doing. The data collected including the number visitors, the source where they have come from, and the pages visted in an anonymous form.
Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with relevant ads and marketing campaigns. These cookies track visitors across websites and collect information to provide customised ads.
This cookie is set by Facebook to deliver advertisement when they are on Facebook or a digital platform powered by Facebook advertising after visiting this website.
The cookie is set by Facebook to show relevant advertisments to the users and measure and improve the advertisements. The cookie also tracks the behavior of the user across the web on sites that have Facebook pixel or Facebook social plugin.