Discover: NTP Academic Mentors

NTP Academic Mentors

Academic Mentors will work with schools to deliver a tailored programme of support for disadvantaged pupils who need it most.

SMP 190404130

Academic Mentors will work with schools to deliver a tailored programme of support for disadvantaged pupils who need it most. In AY 2021/22, 95% of the Academic Mentor cost will be subsidised with the remaining 5% to be funded through Recovery Premium or Pupil Premium payments. All Academic Mentors will be paid £19,000 (pro rata) and will be employed directly by the school.

If you are interested in becoming an Academic Mentor, applications are now open. Schools can also register an interest for 2021 – 22.

The programme will be especially targeted at schools in the most disadvantaged areas, which need more support than ever as they continue to deal with the impact of lost learning due to the pandemic. Academic Mentors will deliver a programme of tailored support in schools and will be expected to deliver a minimum of 15 one-hour sessions to a minimum of 70 disadvantaged pupils in the academic year to meet the needs of the school. This support will primarily utilise tuition sessions in groups of three pupils, but targeted support (two pupils and 1:1) will also be encouraged for SEND and exceptional requirements.

Academic Mentors will be used in both primary schools and secondary schools, as well as Special schools, including special units within mainstream schools, Alternative Education Provision / Pupil Referral Units and Hospital schools. In primary schools, Academic Mentors will cover subjects including literacy, numeracy, and science. In secondary schools, tuition sessions will cover maths, English, science, humanities and modern foreign languages.

All Academic Mentors will have an awareness of the curriculum and different teaching approaches and pedagogies. In order to achieve this, every prospective Academic Mentor will complete a training programme (one week for QTS applicants and two weeks for those without QTS) with Liverpool Hope University.