For schools

For schools

Key information for schools on accessing subsidised tutoring from NTP Tuition Partners, and details on upcoming webinars.


Through NTP Tuition Partners, schools (including special schools and Alternative Provisions) can access high-quality tutoring from an approved list of tutoring providers, who have passed a set of quality, safeguarding and evaluation standards.

NTP Tuition Partners have initially been funded to provide subsidised high-quality tutoring for up to 250,000 pupils this academic year. The NTP will continue next academic year, with the Department for Education announcing Randstad as their chosen delivery partner for the programme 2021/22 programme, following a competitive tendering process. Further details on how schools can access NTP support next year will be available in the coming weeks. At present, schools can still access subsidised tutoring through the NTP Tuition Partners for the remainder of this academic year

The focus of the NTP is on supporting disadvantaged pupils and we expect a large majority of these to be eligible for Pupil Premium funding. We recognise however, that schools are best placed to decide which of their pupils will most benefit from additional support, and which type of support is more suitable. Tuition Partners will substantially increase the tutoring available to disadvantaged pupils, and the aim is to reach as many disadvantaged pupils as possible. 

Through NTP Tuition Partners, schools can purchase one 15-hour block of tutoring per pupil. The tutoring cost is subsidised by 75%, with schools paying the remaining 25% to Tuition Partners. NTP tutoring can support pupils aged between 5 and 16 (Years 1 – 11) in state-maintained mainstream, specialist, and Alternative Provision settings. Pupils attending independent special schools on state-funded placements can also access NTP tutoring.

NTP tutoring is designed to provide additional support, as a supplement to the high-quality classroom teaching that is the most powerful way to support children. Evidence confirms that when effectively implemented, tutoring yields substantial positive impacts on learning outcomes, particularly for disadvantagedpupils. It is important that the content of tutoring aligns with classroom teaching and focuses on the areas that pupils need the most support with. Teachers and tutors should work together to make sure that the sessions cover the areas that pupils need most support with. Advice and tips to get the most out of working with tutors – as an effective team, led by teachers – is available here.

Schools can take the following steps to access tutoring:

  1. Search for approved NTP Tuition Partners either by school name or location. A list of Tuition Partners matching your search will be returned. Filter the search results by subject, age range and specify if you would prefer face-to-face or online tutoring. The Tuition Partners at a glance documents can be found here, which might also help schools select which Tuition Partners to contact.
  2. Make an enquiry via the website with your chosen Tuition Partner, indicating your tutoring requirements, such as the number of pupils you would like tutoring for.
  3. Your enquiry will be sent directly to the Tuition Partner, and they will get back to you.

Our FAQs has more information on where tutoring can take place and how much tutoring a pupil can receive. If you have any further questions, please do get in touch.

Please note: if your school has registered an interest on our website, this is not a formal submission to access tutoring. You can search for tutoring here.

Find tutoring for your school

Search our approved Tuition Partners to find the right support for your pupils

Webinars for schools

During this academic year we held information webinars on how schools can access NTP support. This included an introduction to the programme, information on how the Tuition Partners works and steps your school can take to get involved.

You can see a recording of the national webinar held on Wednesday 21 April here and access the presentation slides here.

Best tutoring practice for schools

This brief guide summarises key messages for schools, based on the best available evidence for effective tutoring.

Supporting parental engagement

National Tutoring Programme resources to share with families